Friday 9 May 2008

Cranberry and White Chocolate Flapjacks Recipe


For our first bake we are beginning with a white chocolate and cranberry flapjack.

Flapjacks are a quick and simple tray bake made with a base ingredient of rolled oats. Flapjacks come in many guises using a multitude of added ingredients; in this recipe you will find a perfect combination in the white chocolate and cranberries.

I hope everyone will find this recipe easy but if you have any questions or queries please leave your comment under this post and Rosie and I will help in any way we can.

If you are a food blogger, we ask that you kindly write a post about your bake and link back to us at Sweet and Simple Bakes. Let us know that you completed the bake and we'll list all the blogs that accomplished the bake. If you don't have a food blog and care to share how it went, feel free to contact us at sweetandsimplebakes(at)goolemail(dot)com.

This Bake will be running until 1st June. Looking forward to seeing everyone’s entry.

Cranberry and White Chocolate Flapjacks

Makes 12
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 35 minutes

Ingredients
250g butter
100g demerara sugar
200g golden syrup
250g rolled oats
75g plain flour
100g dried cranberries( other dried fruits can also be used, bluberries, apricots, etc)
100g white chocolate, chopped(dark or milk chocolate can be used)

Method
Preheat the oven to 170C/ Gas 3. Line a 23cm square tin with baking paper (please do not use greaseproof).Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a large pan over a low heat (stirring occasionally), until the butter and sugar have completely melted.Add the rolled oats, flour and cranberries to the pan, and stir together well. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared tin. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool for a few minutes, then mark into 12 squares – but don’t cut all the way through. Allow to cool in the tin completely.Melt the white chocolate and drizzle over each bar.(When melting chocolate you use a heatproof bowl over a low simmering saucepan of hot water but making sure the water is not hitting the bottom of the bowl.)
Please refer to substitution link on the side panel and if that isn't sufficient enough; I hope you will find this particular site of use The Cook's Thesaurus

21 comments:

Dee said...

This looks super delish! And I have a bag of cranberries calling out to me, so it's obviously a must bake :)

But I have a question. Can I substitute brown sugar for demerara? Demerara is super expensive where I live :(

Also, can I go with my pathological tendency to play with a recipe, or would you prefer if I followed it as is?

Maria♥ said...

Hi Dee

Welcome! Yes you may substitute brown sugar for demerara. If you would like to play with the recipe, then that's fine. Just let us know in your entry what changes or extra's you included ;o)

Looking forward to your entry!

Maria
x

Arundathi said...

hi - i just made this and it came out so so well!!! it was just heaven in a bite! I used several substitutions since lots of stuff wasn't available in India, but it came out very well. It was definitely a lot more crumbly than your pictures though - not sure why!
Thanks for the recipe - will post on 1st June.

Rosie said...

Hi Arundathi, great news!! I am so pleased you managed to make substitutions for this months bake. Can't wait to view your flapjacks on the 1st June :)

Rosie x

Unknown said...

i just knew this event! i love flapjacks, but the deadline is quite close. i'll do my best!

ab

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Hi Maria/Rosie

Firstly as my hubby doesn't like dried fruit (or at least he says he doesn't!) can I substitute the dreid cranberries for chocolate chips/nuts or something similar?

Secondly, just to clarify, on the 1st June should I post the flapjacks on my site (with a link to this one of course) but also post a comment here with the url on my site - forgive me but I am new to blogging and want to make sure Im doing things right!!

Maria♥ said...

Hi Beth

You can most certainly substitute the dried cranberries for anything of your choice..i.e..chocolate chips, nuts etc.

Everyone is posting their entries on the 1st June on their own blogs and we ask everyone to link back to here. I will be now adding your blog to our Sweet and Simple Bakes Blogroll List. You can either post once your entry is up but we will be doing a round up of everyone's entries.

Looking forward to your entry ;o)

Maria
x

Chawanmushi said...

Hi Rosie and Maria
I've completed my bake and am waiting eagerly for 1st June to post in my blog :-)

Rosie said...

Hi Chawanmushi, whoohoo can't wait to view your bake on the 1st June :)

Rosie x

natalia said...

my flapjacks just came out of the oven ! The smell is very good ! See you on the first !

Rosie said...

Hi arfi, I hope you can make the dead line but if not we will be posting another recipe for next month and hope you can join us then , which would be great :)

Hi Natali, many thanks and if you send your entry in with a photo to our email address I will make sure it is posted for you on our blog for everyone to see :)

Looking forward to the roundup and viewing everyones flapjacks :)


Best wishes Rosie x

Serena said...

Hi

Just to let you know that I have made the flapjacks, they were wonderful. Post should appear tomorrow, if blogger behaves itself, here: http://rock-cakes.blogspot.com/

Look forward to the next recipe! Good work guys!

Silvia - Magnolia Wedding Planner said...

Rosie :-( something really upsetting happened! My hubby (who is not really into cameras :-P) erased my photos of flapjack that I wanted to post tomorrow...arghhh...sgrunt...and all the flapjacks ..:-P already eaten! Ahhh..i'm so sorry I'll miss this appointment! So sorry I must bag your pardon darling!:-(
Whant can I do now?
Silvia

Arundathi said...

completed the bake and posted today. here you go (and i can't wait for the next recipe!!!)

http://arundathi-foodblog.blogspot.com/2008/05/flapjacks-sweet-simple-bakes.html

Rosie said...

Hi Arundathi, gosh they look so scrummy too!! Many thanks for partaking in this month's bake of flapjacks.

I am working on compiling all the entries to post on S.S.B blog asap.

Best wishes Rosie x

Arundathi said...

it was so much fun, rosie, thanks! can't wait for the round-up and the next recipe - and so glad i joined - you guys are doing a great job! :)

Nickki said...

Well, my flapjacks are now in the oven and they smell divine! Can't wait to see how they turn out :D xx

Rosie said...

Hi Arundathi, i'm so pleased you enjoyed this months bake.

Hi Nickki, wonderful news can't wait to view them!! Thanks so much for partaking :)

Best wishes Rosie x

Rosie said...

Hi Silvia, Oh I am sorry to hear your photo's have been erased, what a huge shame sweetie :(

You are welcome to post the recipe and our badge if you would like too on your blog, but I know this doesn't make up for the upset of your photos of your bake.....

I will be posting next month’s recipe very soon - so sorry to hear your news sweetie!!

Hugs Rosie x

Nickki said...

I've just posted a picture of the flapjacks on the non-blog! They really are gorgeous xx

Raff Lagattolla said...

Hi

Just tried making these... now I am by no means a sweet cook (always stuck to the savoury and left the sweet to the parentals), but I had an urge this morning to dip my hand into bakery.

Turned out amazingly well. The smell was so strong from the butter and golden syrup that it's still permeating the house, roughly two hours later! Huge thanks for the simple recipe :)